// Facebook Video to Let You Restrict Viewers by Age and Gender - Social Songbird


Latest News


Facebook Video to Let You Restrict Viewers by Age and Gender

Facebook has announced that video creators will now be able to restrict their viewers by age and gender. It’s also going to introduce a new ‘secret mode’ which makes videos invisible unless you have a direct URL – much like YouTube’s ‘unlisted’ setting. This allows you to share a video privately or embed it another site without it showing up on your page’s feed. A Video Library will let users organise and update their videos all in one place with customisable features like thumbnails and subtitles. You can also turn off third party embedding and publishing to the News Feed.

Facebook videos have quadrupled their traffic in the past year, reports BuzzFeed. In total, videos have more than 4 billion views a day on the social network site. But Facebook counts one ‘view’ for 3 seconds of viewing – much less than YouTube’s standard 30 seconds – and the autoplay function means that you don’t get to choose what you watch on your News Feed.

Earlier this month, Facebook began testing ads between videos for a small group of companies that include Fox Sports, NBA, and Funny or Die. The publishers receive 55% of ad revenues that run between their videos – the same split as YouTube.

Ads that autoplay in the News Feed would put users off, so Facebook is putting the ads between videos – banking on you watching more than one video in one sitting. At the end of each video, a list of suggested videos picked by Facebook’s algorithms will pop up. After every few videos you watch, an ad will play and 55% of profits will be allocated to the publishers of the videos that came before and after the ad. Facebook takes the remaining 45% cut.

Facebook seems to be on a mission to create a fully-fledged video platform instead of letting videos float through the News Feed, and its massive 1.44 billion user base make it the first real threat to Google’s video-sharing giant. This year, only 74% of online Super Bowl ad views were on YouTube – a drop of 20% since 2014 – while Facebook had a 25% share.

The updates will arrive to Page admins in the next few weeks.

Aaron Waterhouse

Aaron is a recent English graduate from Durham University who is now working as a content writer intern. An enthusiastic traveller, he hopes to become a journalist and report from around the world. Follow him @AaronAtSMF

Contact us on Twitter, on Facebook, or leave your comments below. To find out about social media training or management why not take a look at our website for more info http://socialmediacambridge.co.uk/.
Facebook Video to Let You Restrict Viewers by Age and Gender Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, July 23, 2015 Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by Social Songbird © 2012 - 2020

Contact Form


Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.